Thursday, July 23, 2009

Monterrey, Nuevo Leon


A couple weeks ago I made a quick trip to Monterrey, Mexico to visit a very good friend who fell ill. Sadly, he passed away the day before my scheduled trip back to my hometown (Tijuana). In a way I'm really glad I was able to see him one last time, but saying goodbye forever is not something I can do easily, especially to someone I was very close to.

I lived in Monterrey for almost two years, made very good friends, got a new set of relatives ( I got married while living there) and absolutely fell in love with the city. Monterrey is a perfect blend of old and new. Old colonial architecture suddenly changes to the newest, trendiest shopping malls and business complexes.

I was there for about three days during this last trip, but I was only able to set aside about three hours one morning to walk around downtown Monterrey, carrying my camera, hunting for images.

The image above is of a home in downtown Monterrey. This is typical of the old colonial style where the front door is flush with the very narrow sidewalk. Not very practical by today's standards, but I love that type of architecture. Even with the extreme heat (Monterrey is terribly warm during summer) I enjoyed walking around taking pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment